Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Learning English from a Song


Listening to music is one of my passions. Aside from enjoying the tune, I am also learning new words or expressions in English. Whenever I hear a song I am interested in, I find the lyrics of the song and listen to it a lot of times until I could memorize everything.

Let me show you how I do it.


1. Play and listen the song below. Listen to it as many times as you want. The title of the song is 'BEST DAYS' by Graham Colton.




2. This time, fill in the blanks with the word or words you have heard from this song. If it's too difficult, listen to the song again and answer.


BEST DAYS
by Graham Colton


With everything I've ever _______ (1)
I'd give it all to everyone for ____________ (2)
Another night I'm waking through
Another door I walk into I can't ________ (3)
And it's a winding road
And it's a long way home

So don't wait
For someone to tell you _____________ (4)
Cause these are the _______________ (5)
There's always something tomorrow
So I say let's __________________ (6) of tonight
Here comes the rest of our lives

I count the steps the distance to
The time when it was ______________ (7)
It's so far gone
Another face, another friend,
Another place, another end,
But I'll ____________ (8)
And it's a winding road
And it's a long way home

So don't wait
For someone to tell you it's too late
Cause these are the best days
There's always something __________ (9)
So I say let's make the best of tonight
Yeah, __________ (10) the best of tonight
Here comes the rest of _____________ (11)
Rest of our lives
And it's a _________ (12) road
It's a long way home

So ___________ (13)
For someone to tell you it's too late
Cause these are the best days
There's always something tomorrow
So I say let's make the best of it
____________ (14)
Cause no one can tell you it's too late
Cause these are the best days
There's always something tomorrow
So I say let's make the best of tonight
Yeah, let's make the best of tonight
We'll make the best of tonight
___________ (15) the rest of our lives


3. To check if you are correct with your answers, click this link. -----> http://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&ik=9dbe11dab3&view=att&th=12206f4511becf22&attid=0.1&disp=vah&realattid=f_fw8w4ch90&zw


4. Now, let's learn some words or expressions used from the song.

NEW WORDS/EXPRESSIONS:

* winding == crooked or twisting
She is driving in a winding road.

* hang on == keep going
Life is difficult but I need to hang on for my family.

* make the best of something == to try and act in a positive way when you have to accept a situation which you do not like but cannot change

Their allowance was not enough but they have to make the best of it for the whole semester.


5. Share your opinion. What do you do when you make mistakes? Do you think it's important to think positively when things go wrong? What do you do when a friend feels bad because he or she made a mistake or had a bad decision?


.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.



Let me know your thoughts...


Was this exercise helpful for you?


Would you like to learn more about English?


Then, join INTERNET ENGLISH ACADEMY's lessons, have fun and learn more about English! Visit www.justmystage.com/home/englishtutor and try the free 30-minute trial lesson. (^-^)

No comments:

Post a Comment

EXPRESSION for CONVERSATION

EXPRESSION for CONVERSATION
cross your fingers

PHRASES for CONVERSATION

PHRASES for CONVERSATION
expressing thanks

EXPRESSION for CONVERSATION

EXPRESSION for CONVERSATION
idiom, feel blue, gj