Sunday, July 19, 2009

Watch out for typos!!!

In the past post, I have introduced ways how to learn the English language. One of them is reading English books, newspapers or magazines.

I love reading and that hobby helped me improve a lot on my English skills. In reading, you’ll be able to acquire more knowledge as well as new English words which you can use in the future.

Whenever I read news, I usually look up to interesting or funny news first before proceeding to more serious topics. Why? Interesting or odd news gets my attention and it would help me engage more on reading English news. It is very important to engage yourself in to something you like rather than something which isn’t exciting.

Let’s read the interesting news I found a while ago.




SINGLE SPELLING MISTAKE CAN DERAIL JOB APPLICATION

TORONTO (Reuters) – Typing mistakes in a job application can kill a would-be employee's chance of landing a job as employers bet that a sloppy resume means the applicant will do a sloppy job.

A telephone survey of 100 senior Canadian executives showed that more than a fifth of executives said a single typo on a resume or cover letter could cost a potential employee a job, while 28 percent said two mistakes would kill their chances.

The survey, published on Tuesday, was carried out by online job search firm Accountemps.

"The resume is an applicant's first chance to impress the hiring manager," said Kathryn Bolt, president of Accountemps' Canadian operations. "Mistakes on one's application materials may prompt employers to assume there also will be mistakes made on the job."

But 19 percent of the executives said they would still consider an applicant with four or more typos on their resume.

Common mistakes include: "Dear Sir or Madman", "I'm attacking my resume for you to review", "Following is a grief overview of my skills" and "Have a keen eye for derail.”



Source: www.yahoonews.com. “Single spelling mistake can derail job application.” Reuters. July 15, 2009. July 19, 2009.



Vocabulary:
derail = ruin
***[Her resume derailed her chance to get the job.]
sloppy = carelessly or not done well
***[He was fired because of his sloppy presentation.]
typo = typographical error or printing error
***[He found many typos in her application form.]




What do you think should be the correct spelling of these typos?
1. "Dear Sir or Madman"
2. "I'm attacking my resume for you to review"
3. "Following is a grief overview of my skills"
4. "Have a keen eye for derail.”





~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Answers:
1. Dear Sir or Madam
2. I’m attaching my resume for you to review
3. Following is a brief overview of my skills
4. Have a keen eye for detail

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


As you can see, a single mistake will completely change the meaning as well as the reader’s view. So when you write an application, presentation or whatever writing piece it is, be sure to check or read again.




Tell me:

Do you think application letters or resumes are important when applying for a job? Why?

Do you have any unforgettable experience during a job interview concerning your resume?

^_^

No comments:

Post a Comment

EXPRESSION for CONVERSATION

EXPRESSION for CONVERSATION
cross your fingers

PHRASES for CONVERSATION

PHRASES for CONVERSATION
expressing thanks

EXPRESSION for CONVERSATION

EXPRESSION for CONVERSATION
idiom, feel blue, gj